Just a few days before everyone rings in the New Year, I have a ritual that I undertake and enjoy immensely. It doesn’t involve highly caloric food, expensive Champagne or making a resolution. I have shared my New Year’s ritual with successful entrepreneurs and have always received a positive response. It’s really simple. It requires you to ask yourself three questions. What happens next, is up to you.
Before I share with you the three powerful New Year’s questions, I would like to set up for you how I go about this ritual.
I chose a day between Christmas and New Year’s Day and block it on my calendar. No meetings, phone conferences, email or errands are permitted to be scheduled in advance on this designated day. Don’t worry. This ritual doesn’t take a whole day to accomplish the desired effect. It is just very important that you are not subconsciously thinking about anything else other than these three questions for as much of this day as possible.
If possible, I like to schedule either a massage or a pedicure during this day for myself—both, is even better!
At the end of the day, I find a tablet and designate three pages to my ritual—one for each question:
- What were the obstacles that I encountered in this past year?
- What were my achievements this past year that I am most proud of?
- What three things will be different in my life in the years to follow because of my answers to the first two questions?
Typically, I fill each of those three pages to the four corners. And I must admit, I love to do this in front of a fireplace with a glass of red wine in hand. I don’t like bubbly.
Maybe, the massage, pedicure and red wine doesn’t resonate with you. Feel free to put your own lifestyle mark on the day. Just be certain to answer those three great questions!
All the best to you…Happy New Year!
Holly also founded ExitPromise.com and to date has answered more than 2,000 questions asked by business owners about starting, growing and selling a business.
Latest posts by Holly Magister, CPA, CFP
- How to Pay Yourself as a Business Owner - November 6, 2019
- How to Overcome Customer Concentration Objection When Selling a Business - May 22, 2019
- Understanding the Business Buyer Types When Selling Your Business - April 12, 2019